Rich media ads are a popular way to advertise in digital formats. Rich media ads can be interactive, and therefore more engaging than standard banner ads. They might offer users the opportunity to take some kind of action, such as watching a video, reading more information or clicking through to another website. This article covers everything you need to know about HTML5 rich media banners. What are they? How can you create interactive online advertisements using HTML5 code? Read on to find out...
What is an HTML5 rich media banner?
An HTML5 ad banner is a digital advertisement displayed on a website or app. It's a type of online advertising for advertisers and an opportunity for publishers to make money from their websites. A rich media banner could be an animated auto advertisement, an interactive game, a video that plays as soon as the page loads, or a 360-degree product tour that lets people swipe through a product while they're reading about it. Rich media banners can enhance user experience, and they have the potential to provide higher click-through rate, more views and even conversions. This makes them a very important aspect of the digital marketing industry.
How to make HTML5 rich media banners?
HTML5 ad format examples
- Pre-roll ads - Video ads that play before viewers have a chance to read the article. These may be less disruptive than pop-up ads, but they can also be more annoying if they're too long or not relevant to your site.
- In-article ads - Ads that are embedded in the articles themselves. They often appear as boxes with a title and a click-to-read more button.
- Promo ads - Ads that promote a product or service on a webpage with related content.
- Native ads - Ads that are designed to look and feel as much like the surrounding editorial content as possible.
Benefits of using HTML5 banners
- Greater click-through rates - Rich media banners can be more engaging than standard banners, so they can get higher click-through rates.
- More capacity - HTML5 banners are interactive and can include multiple media types, such as images, audio, video, and text. This means that you can include more information than a simple text banner.
- Better user experience - Rich media ads allow users to interact with the ads and provide more information. This leads to a better user experience.
- Increased revenue - If done right, rich media ads can lead to an increase in revenue. They’re more engaging than standard banners, so they can get higher click-through rates and provide more information.
- Better brand recognition - Rich media ads can help you build a better brand recognition. They provide more information about your product or service than a standard banner, and they can be more engaging. This can positively impact your brand.
Limitations of HTML5 banners
- Higher costs - Rich media ads cost more than standard banners. The additional features and functionality behind rich media ads can make them more expensive.
- Increased development time - Rich media ads take more time to plan and build than standard banners. This can mean that they take longer to launch, too.
- Making them work with different devices - There are more devices in the world than ever before. This means that your rich media ads need to work on all devices. This can be challenging, especially if your ads are reliant on certain features, such as a 360-degree view.
HTML5 rich media ad components
- Media - This refers to the actual content or images in your ad. This can be photos, videos, or interactive features.
- Media Adapters - These are responsible for displaying media inside your banner. You can choose what type of media you want to display.
- Content - This refers to text inside the ad. It can be anything from a sales pitch to product information.
- Navigation - This refers to the interactive elements in your ad. These can include menus and buttons.
- Actions - These are the interactions that users perform when interacting with your ad.
Which tools can help you build HTML5 ads?
If you are not a front-end developer, it can be a challenge to create an engaging rich media banner from scratch. If you want to jump straight into the creative process, then you can use an out-of-the-box solution. Most of these services provide rich media templates that you can customize. You can either use their drag-and-drop editor or start from scratch by choosing a template and adding your own code to it.
To create rich media banners, you need to know how to code or have a trusted team that can help you create them. This way, you can be sure that the code is optimized and error-free, and you can be sure your banners will run smoothly. Remember that rich media ads can be a great way to increase engagement with your audience. But they can also come with a higher price tag.